This is a very refreshing, nutritious and delicious quinoa salad recipe which has different flavours and textures.
¼ cup Uncooked quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh
½ cup Water
⅓ cup Cooked chickpeas
¼ Medium cucumber, seeded and cut in cubes
⅛ Medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
⅛ Medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
⅛ cup Feta cheese, cut in cubes
¼ Medium onion, chopped
¼ cup Finely chopped parsley
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
½ tsp Lemon juice
½ Clove of finely chopped garlic
Pinch of sea salt (I use Pakistani Himalayan salt)
½ tbsp Pomegranate (optional for adding colour and flavour)
Crushed black pepper to taste
1. To cook quinoa: Combine the rinsed quinoa and the water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 15 minutes (for one cup quinoa combined with 2 cups of water), reducing heat as time goes on to maintain a gentle simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes, to give it time to absorb moisture and rise. Set aside for cooling.
2. Combine the chickpeas, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, feta cheese and parsley in a large serving bowl.
3. For dressing: Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt and black pepper in a small bowl and whisk.
4. Once the quinoa is mostly cool, add it to the serving bowl, and drizzle the dressing on top. Toss until the mixture is thoroughly combined and add pomegranate if you like.
5. This salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Tip: If you have cooked quinoa more than required, you can freeze it in an air tight container and use it next time.
Recipe inspired by Cookie and Kate