This is our favourite hidden veggie marinara sauce recipe that is very nutritious and the kids love it!
1 Clove of garlic peeled, chopped and crushed
¼ small onion chopped
1 Medium tomato roughly chopped into bite sizes pieces
¼ Chopped tomato puree/canned tomatoes (good quality)
¼ tbsp Tomato paste
½ Celery stalk
⅛ tsp salt
⅛ tsp black pepper
⅛ tsp Oregano/mixed herbs
Chilli flakes to taste
Pinch of sugar
½ tbsp Olive oil
1. Chop up the zucchini, carrots and celery with the help of a chopper/food processor
2. In a pan, add in olive oil, fry the onions and garlic till fragrant.
3. Add in the veggies in the pan till softened.
4. Add in the tomatoes and allow them to simmer for 20 mins.
5. When tomatoes have released their juices, add in tomato purée and allow it to simmer further.
6. Add in spices ( adjust salt and spice to your liking).
7. Use a hand immersion blender to Blitz sauce till it forms a fine sauce like texture.
8. Add in the remaining sauce with the paste and cook till desired fluidity is achieved. ( don’t expect the consistency to be as smooth, as normal marinara sauce, but it should do the trick)
9. Serve on pizzas, pasta without your kids making any fuss!!
10. For use in pasta: fry some garlic, add in meat ( if using), add in sauce, along with boiled pasta, mix well, and season with cheese and further spice!
Tips: Peel the veggies to get smoother textures, use good quality tomatoes and sauce.
Serving notes: 1- We love this recipe on boiled pasta and pizza dough.
Storage advice: This sauce can be stored and refrigerated in an air tight container for 3-4 days and frozen for upto 3 months.