Recipe shared by Nariman Qureshi | Check out her Instagram.
All you need are a few ingredients and some pantry staples to make this plate of gorgeousness! It’s got sweetness from the beetroot, balanced with the salt from the feta and the nuts add a great crunch. Perfect in every mouthful!
½ kg Beetroot
4 cups water
1 stick Cinnamon
9 Black peppercorns
1 Star anise
2 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp sugar (separated)
2 tbsp Vinegar
1 Orange zest/juice
⅛ Feta cheese
1 tbsp Herbs mint/parsley
2 tbsp Walnuts (can candy them too)
1. Thoroughly clean the beetroot, scrub if you must, this is a really important step.
2. Add beetroot, spices, vinegar, salt and 1 tbsp of the sugar in a pan. Top it off with the water.
3. Put this on the fire and cook till beetroot is tender, it took me about 45 mins. You may need to move the beetroot around a little every now and then to make sure it cooks evenly all over.
4. Once tender remove beetroot from pan. Let the liquid cook down till it’s close to 1/3 cup.
5. Add the orange juice, orange zest and 1/2 tbsp of sugar. Cook this for another 3-5 mins.
6. Peel and slice beetroot into rounds.
7. Sprinkle nuts, cheese and herbs all over.
8. Strain the dressing and drizzle 1/3 over salad, serve the rest along side so people can add much as they like.
Tips: If you don’t have fresh oranges you can use a 1/4 cup of orange juice.