Fresh Strawberry Cake
Recipe shared by Sabeen Ahsan | Check out her Instagram here.
Recreated using the original recipe by Jennifer Segal.
1½ cups all-purpose flour,
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened),
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (divided),
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup milk
About ¾ pound strawberries (2.5 cups) hulled and
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 9-inch deep dish pie pan (or 9-inch round cake pan).
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on low speed until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, and beat on low speed until smooth. (Note: the batter will be thick.)
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Arrange the strawberries on top, cut side down, so that they completely cover the batter.
Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the strawberries.
5. Bake for ten minutes, then reduce the heat to 325°F and bake until the cake is lightly golden and a tester comes out clean, about an hour. Let the cake
cool in the pan on a rack.
6.Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Cake can be stored at room temperature for several days, loosely covered