Peanut Tamarind Green Beans
Recipe Shared by Rabia Cooks| Check out her Instagram
Spicy, tangy and aromatic This is the perfect side dish to pair with meat or lentils.
34 tbsp Oil
1 Onion thinly sliced
¼ tsp Hing/asafoetida (or 1/2 tsp each ginger/garlic)
2 Green beans (pre-cooked if needed and cut as desired
23 Dried or fresh red chillies, sliced midway if fresh
1 tsp Mix masala
One pingpong sized amount of tamarind soaked in 3/4 cup water
½ cup Peanuts
Salt and sugar to taste
Mix masala - generally equal parts each
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
roast and grind till lightly coarse.
1. Remove tamarind pulp from its seeds by scrubbing the fruit in the water with your hands. Remove and discard any seeds or fibers. Keep the water for later.
2. Heat oil to medium heat and fry the peanuts till golden brown. Remove nuts to a towel lined plate, leaving the oil in the pan. Save for later, chop if you prefer to.
3. In the same cooking pan, add the whole chillies. After lightly golden add hing (or ginger/garlic)
4. After about 15 seconds, add the onions in and cook till softened.
5. Add the mix masala and roast for a few seconds and then add the green beans.
6. Mix and pour in half the tamarind water as well as salt and sugar to taste.
7. Continue to cook, mixing occasionally, Add more tamarind water if it begins ro dry up before the green beans are done. If the tamarind finishes, continue to do so with regular water.
8. When beans are tender for you, taste and check the sauce consistency. if too watery, raise the temperature to quickly reduce it to a glaze.
9. Remove onto a plate, flattening (not a pile). Scatter peanuts atop and enjoy.