Recipe shared by Rabia Cooks Instagram
This vegetarian chutney recipe is easier than it looks. Very versatile, this chutney will become everyone’s favorite condiment!
1.50 cups cherry tomatoes
1 regular tomato
4 tbsp mustard oil
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped chilli/dried chilli
4 tbsp white sugar
1. Add oil to a pan on medium flame. When lightly smoking and pale, add the whole spices.
2. After a few seconds, add garlic and chillies.
3. (If you are an advanced cook, add sugar now and carefully caramelise before adding the tomatoes).
4. When everything is lightly golden, add the cherry tomatoes.
5. Take the regular tomato and use your hands to squash into the pan too (this is so that things stop frying).
6. Add vinegar and salt to taste.
7. Continue cooking till desired consistency is reached, squishing the cherry tomatoes gently to encourage softening.
8. Remember that it will get thicker as it cooks –stop cooking accordingly.
You can serve this next to poached lemony fish, on a cheese platter, with mangoes (yeah actually), fried eggs (especially the brown ones, buttery mashed potatoes and even plain grilled chicken.